Sunday 19 January 2014

I've spared you the clam puns

Palau is home to seven of the world's nine species of giant clams, and I have three or four of them documented here (the pictures in my invertebrate guide aren't giving me much to distinguish T. maxima from T. squamosa, so I'm more or less making it up in the captions below).  Like corals and the Jellyfish Lake jellyfish, giant clams have a symbiotic relationship with algae, which provide nutrients as well as brilliant color. 

Tridacna gigas, Ulong Channel
Tridacna derasa, Sam's dock
Tridacna maxima, Virgin Blue Hole

T. derasa, Virgin Blue Hole

Tridacna squamosa, Virgin Blue Hole

T. squamosa, Peleliu

T. derasa, Sam's dock
T. maxima, Peleliu

T. gigas, Ulong Channel

T. derasa, Virgin Blue Hole

Bonus clam: an electric "disco clam," Turtle Cove (this one isn't even in the invert guide)

No comments:

Post a Comment